Pasta seems to be the international symbol of an easy-to-cook meal at home. You see it in the movies - he, prince charming, is cooking pasta to impress her, single but beautiful; (it’s true that in the movies all they cook is spaghetti with bolognese ragu but that is another story). Pasta is also an affordable dish as you can combine from 2 (simple pasta with olive oil) up to as many ingredients as you wish.
I prefer simple pasta, with few and well balanced flavors, cooked just before serving and shared with friends and family. As I don’t know how many portions you’d like to cook , here is the recipe for one of spaghetti with anchovy; just multiply all ingredients with the number of your guests.
- 100 grams spaghetti (or other long pasta)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 finely chopped fresh basil
- 8 anchovy fillets
- ½ can of tomato cubes (200 g)
- salt & pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente (check the package for cooking time).
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the anchovies (only half of the quantity) and let them dissolve for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and, if you prefer your pasta to be spicy, add some red chili, finely chopped and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato cubes and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, salt & pepper the sauce to taste, add basil and pasta (drain the pasta in a colander; it is not necessary to wash the pasta as the starches help the sauce to adhere better).
- Toss well, transfer to plate and decorate with the remaining anchovies.
- Serve immediately. There is no need for parmesan cheese at this combination as anchovies are salty and pungent enough. Enjoy!